Skip to main content

Successful (wo)men and the (wo)men behind them

 

“Behind every successful man stands a woman telling him that he’s wrong”. This saying was engraved on a plaque and was hung on the veranda of my ancestral home. The pearl of wisdom was an enigma to me since it was displayed on a prominent position in a house where a mother single-handedly raised four sons and one daughter, after the early demise of her husband. Who put it there? My grandmother? Or one among her sons? What could it mean? Is it that every successful man has a nagging woman who finds fault with his every move? Or is it that there is a woman who motivates the man to strive hard?

The saying was supposedly coined even before World War II. It, most certainly, was not appealing to the early feminists. But nobody knew who said it or when. The internet says that the closest resemblance to the saying is found in the sports column of a newspaper, The Port Arthur News, in its publication of February 1946 under the heading “Meryll Frost - 'Most Courageous Athlete of 1945”. Mr. Frost apparently said as he received his trophy, “They say behind every great man there's a woman. While I'm not a great man, there's a great woman behind me.” The feminists certainly used it to their advantage. Meryll Frost’s line “Behind every great man there's a great woman” was adopted as a slogan for the 1960/70s feminist movement.

Like how the meaning of the saying on the plaque puzzled me, there are lots of interpretations of it. People rationalized it as it suited their own personal ideology. While some said that great women are often taken for granted or ignored, others humoured that there is a woman behind every successful man because women do not run behind unsuccessful men.

Maybe it was said by some well-meaning guy who wanted to acknowledge the unsung hero, the woman, in his life. We never know! What if it meant that the chauvinistic men do not let talented women come forward, and hence women are always behind them, and never ahead of them?

However, times have changed and there are a lot of talented women in the forefront now. So maybe I should put up a new plaque at my house now. Should it be “Behind every woman there’s a man telling her she cannot succeed” or should it be “Behind every successful woman stands a man telling her, go ahead, I’ll support you.”? Or, do we really need a man anywhere in the vicinity? How will you have it on your wall?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

your promise

you gave me your hand and promised to be there whenever i needed it. you saw my tears whenever i hid it. but now.. where r u? i still search fr that hand that once had comforted me but it fails to reach me. i still hide my tears hoping you would find them but you fail to recognize it. Why?why did you promise? to be there for me when u dont even remember the promise you made to me.

Scared ...

Scared of the distance Scared of the darkness Scared as the winds blow straight to my face. Scared at the whims  of my own fantasy. Scared of all around me. Scared as I lie alone, Scared of the strange noises blaring inside my head. Scared darling, I too, was of losing you. And all the scares came futile, as scare engulfed me in its depths. 

......................

It was all black, it was all dark. I tried to see where it was, light. I searched here, I searched there, But where was the light in me? Then I saw, it was hidden, Hidden in the realms of black. Happily I threw it away, In hope of seeing my light. But what i saw, it was grey!